Ridings Equine Vets are looking for a motivated, hardworking friendly person to join our team as a Yard Assistant.
Our practice is based in Lumby near South Milford and we have in patient facilities, stables and examination rooms.
You will provide vital back up to our existing two grooms to ensure the smooth running of our practice based procedures and in-patient care. There is a large volume of cleaning, disinfecting and tidying involved in this role and potential applicants should be prepared to work hard and maintain very high standards.
The position is full time and hours are 8.30am – 5pm Monday to Friday with 1 in 6 Saturday mornings 9am – 12pm.
Salary is minimum wage.
We are looking for the following skills and experience:
- Experience of working around horses and competent horse handling skills
- An ability to work to high standards particularly around cleaning and tidying
- A friendly and approachable manner and good communication skills
- Minimum Grade C Maths and English GCSE
- 18 years of age or over
- Driving licence with access to a vehicle
Please apply with CV and a covering letter describing your suitability for the role by Friday 12th March 5pm. For further information please call 07747771182 and ask to speak to Kate or Lucy.
Applications to email@example.com Please mark your email subject Yard Assistant Position.
The Job description is as follows:
Inpatient & Yard Management:
- Care of inpatients and assist duty vets with their care
- Communicating with clients re the in-patients on a daily basis
- Update patient care sheets on a daily basis ensuring accurate records are kept
- Feeding and mucking out inpatients
- Basic health checks of in-patients
- Grooming and bathing of inpatients
- Lunging and hand grazing in-patients
- Cleaning and disinfecting stables and all buckets and grooming utensils between in-patients
- Preparing admission and consent forms for in patients
- Keep the yard and barn clean and well swept and disinfected
- Ensure wash down area is clean and tidy and disinfected
- Keeping examination rooms clean and disinfected
- Maintain area outside barn is kept weed and litter free
- Assist vets with inpatients and clients attending the practice
- Trotting up horses and luging for vet examinations
- Holding patients during procedures
- Assisting vets on calls
- Preparing lab samples
- Assisting with worming programs and FWECs
- Equipment cleaning and maintenance
- Preparing instruments for sterilisation and using autoclave
- Preparing and cleaning veterinary scrub pots
- Assisting with stock control
- Cleaning stock room
- Checking temperature monitoring and uploading records onto the computer
- Ensuring X-rays and ultrasound images are backed up weekly
- Filing stock invoices
- Ensuring patient records are accurate
- Assisting at client marketing events such as talks and demonstrations
- To work as part of the practice team
- Attend and contribute to practice meetings and client educational events